Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblr

While the interior work was progressing, there were also other concerns that had to be addressed. Exterior things, mechanical things, engine mechanical things, transmission things, tire things, oh my there were so many things!

Our rig was well cared for prior to us owning it. We actually met the owners even though we purchased it at a dealership. It was just being traded in as we were looking to purchase. The previous owners were there moving things out into the new rig they had just purchased. This allowed us a great insight into the RV’s past. It turns out they had purchased it new for their son to live in while at college. It spent most it’s life sitting. With the occasional summer vacation to the beach. Then, after his graduation, the parents took it on a road trip and put about 20K on it before making the decision to go full time and purchasing a newer rig.

We provided for normal maintenance over the years we used the RV , soon to be called IRV, as a family get-a-way vehicle. Were it not for a failed slide out seal, the prep work would have been much shorter and greatly less expensive.

We started from the top down.  Step one being the roof.  The roof worked had to be farmed out to a local RV dealership, by the time is was all said and done, the tab was just at $2500.

From there we went to the bottom, all new “shoes” 6 brand new Toyo tires, M + S rated, installed – $1200

The exterior walls need to be resealed. This meant scraping all the old caulking off, cleaning the area and installing new caulking. This project took two people 4 good days to accomplish. The cost came to about $250 with caulking, tools, etc.

The various storage areas needed to be cleaned, repaired as required. New locks, new locking tabs, new door holders, most of the small plastic bits on the outside were replaced. The cost per piece was small though they did add up to about $200

The various covers on the driver side had been damaged a few years back from a slight miscalculation while parking IRV after a weekend away. These had to be addressed. The water heater cover was easily straightened and repainted. The gas door cover was replaced. ($20) The shore power electric box was replaced. ($20) The furnace was removed and rebuilt. ($400) A inline water filter ($50) was added as well as a reverse osmosis filter system ($150) The seals around the slide out were all replaced ($300)

Necessity/Ease of use items were purchased:

  • Water pressure regulator
  • Hose splitters
  • water thief
  • gloves
  • sewer hoses
  • sewer flush valve (must have!)
  • storage boxes to put all this stuff in
  • water hose(s)
  • battery charger
  • air compressor
  • small tool kit
  • patio mat
  • camping chairs
  • fold up table
  • bike rack
  • front window cover (for when we’re parked)
  • tire covers
  • add on room form CareFree (love it!) ($500)
  • two dolly ($750)
  • repairs to the tow dolly ($350)
  • extra tail lights ($50)
  • BBQ Grill, hose and tank ($250)

Then I moved on to the engine mechanical needs. I had a full service performed, belts , hoses, filters, fluids flushed and filled as required. Most of this work was done by a great friend, so the cost was parts only. Which still were pricey, one radiator hose being well over $100!! Peace of mind is well worth it though. Paying for these repairs roadside would be much greater cost.

We spent quite a bit of cash getting IRV  ‘up to speed’. In the end, we have a custom vehicle that I truly know everything about and that is, most importantly, paid for.  This fact, more than any other, enabled us to spend this amount of money on this project. Being able to travel and enjoy ourselves was much more important that having a mortgage like payment that would hinder the ability to do fun stuff! Living simply is still the goal.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Website